HATTIESBURG, Miss. (WHLT) – As Miss Mississippi and former Miss University of Southern Mississippi celebrates her first runner-up placing in the 2016 Miss America Pageant, nine students prepare to compete in the 71st annual Miss University of Southern Mississippi Pageant.
Roberts and former Miss Mississippi Chalie Ray, will return to the campus to serve as emcees for this year’s pageant, which is a sanctioned preliminary to the Miss Mississippi Pageant.
Kristen Dupard, who stepped in as Miss University of Southern Mississippi once Roberts won Miss Mississippi, will crown the winner. “We’re not just looking for a pretty face to represent the University, but someone with character, intelligence and accomplishments,” Dupard said.
Southern Miss’ Student Government Association will host the event Saturday, Sept. 19 at 7 p.m., in the Mannoni Performing Arts Center. General admission is $7 and $5 for students.
Here’s a list of this year’s contestants:
- Bethany Noelle Cuevas, a child and family studies major from Long Beach, Miss.
- Anna Taggart, an elementary education major from Raymond, Miss.
- Taylor Robbins, a biochemistry major from Bay Minette, Ala.
- Caitlin Olson, a fashion merchandising major from Gulfport, Miss.
- Tiffany Forrest, a special education major from New Orleans
- Piper Leith, a business major from Long Beach, Miss.
- Macy Mitchell, a communications studies major from Petal, Miss.
- Mia Hall, a vocal performance major from Meridian, Miss.
- Lakesha Pittman, a psychology major from Byram, Miss.
For more information about the pageant, contact the Southern Miss Student Government Association at 601.266.4407; or the Dean of Students Office at 601.266.6028