JACKSON, MS – In an executive order, Gov. Phil Bryant has authorized Maj. Gen. Augustus L. Collins, Adjutant General of the Mississippi National Guard, “to arm certain full-time military personnel at military facilities.”
An official release says the executive order “includes certain National Guard recruiting centers.” The Executive Order was issued on July 20, 2015.
“As commander in chief of the Mississippi National Guard and as governor of the state of Mississippi, I take the safety and security of our military personnel very seriously. These men and women put their lives on the line to protect us, and they deserve the opportunity to defend themselves from violent attacks,” said Gov. Bryant.
The release says that the order “also directs the Mississippi National Guard to examine existing security policies and procedures at military facilities throughout Mississippi and identify any opportunities to enhance the security of those facilities.”
“Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with the families of our heroes lost in the terrible shootings in Tennessee. The security and safety of our Mississippi National Guard personnel is a top priority. We support Governor Bryant’s executive order to strengthen security for our Magnolia Guardsmen,” said Maj. Gen. Augustus L. Collins.
The order comes after last week’s deadly attack on two military recruiting facilities in Tennessee.
Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves said of the order:
“I thank Gov. Bryant for allowing our brave men and women who serve in the National Guard to defend themselves as they perform their duties. It is unfortunate our servicemen and women must take these precautions on American soil.”