Record 0-1, 0-0 C-USA
L, 22-15 vs. Texas State (25,729, Carlisle-Faulkner Field at Roberts Stadium)
Sept. 7, at Nebraska, 5 p.m. (Memorial Stadium/Tom Osborne Field, Lincoln, Neb./87,000 app./BTN, Paul Burmeister, play-by-play; Eric Crouch, analyst; Damon Benning, sideline)
Player of the Week Nominations
Allan Bridgford, QB, 6-3, 210, r-Sr., Mission Viejo, Calif.
In his first game with the Golden Eagles, Bridgford threw for the fifth-most yards in a game for the Golden Eagles with 377 on 28-of-53 passing. His number of completions ranked tied for fifth on the school charts and his no of attempts rank second. He threw two passes of over 50 yards, including 65- and 59-yard strikes to redshirt senior Rickey Bradley, Jr. He added six throws for more than 20 yards in the contest. Bridgford tallied one touchdown pass, a six-yard toss to freshman James Cox on a fade in the back of the end zone.
Alan Howze, LB, 6-3, 227, Sr., Ocean Springs, Miss.
Led the team in tackles with nine (including six solos) and tallied a team-best 2.5 tackles for loss. Helped the Golden Eagles limit Texas State to 207 total yards in the contest. It was the fewest total yards allowed by the Golden Eagles since giving up just 269 against Louisville last season.
* Wide receiver Rickey Bradley, Jr., playing in his first game for the Golden Eagles, caught seven passes for 193 yards, marking the most receiving yards since DeAndre Brown caught 12 passes for 221 yards against Rice on Oct. 18, 2008. The redshirt senior's total receiving yards for the contest are the fourth-most in a game in school history. Bradley's dad, Rickey, Sr., was a running back for the Golden Eagles from 1987-89.
* Freshman receiver Tyre'oune Holmes had 12 catches for 96 yards in his first game. Holmes' reception total ties for second-best by a Golden Eagle in a contest and is the most by a Southern Miss player appearing in his first game.
*Six Golden Eagles made their first career starts, including wide receivers Holmes and Bradley, quarterback, defensive lineman Jerry McCorvey, along with offensive linemen Fredrick Moore and Rashod Hill.
* Freshman wide receiver James Cox caught his first pass in the contest, scoring on a six-yard strike from Bridgford.
* The Golden Eagle defense registered their most plays for loss (11) against Texas State since notching 13 at East Carolina on Nov. 5, 2011.
* Senior Alan Howze led the way with 2.5 tackles for loss, while Dasman McCullum added 2.0 TFLs.
* Southern Miss registered six turnovers against Texas State, marking the most since recording that many giveaways at Marshall on Sept. 10, 2011.
* The Golden Eagles now start a three-game road swing over the next four weeks that includes trips to Nebraska (9/7), Arkansas (9/14) and Boise State (9/28).
* Southern Miss is 1-3 all-time against Nebraska, including 1-2 at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln. This will be the second-straight year that the Golden Eagles will make the trip to Nebraska. The only win for Southern Miss there was a 21-17 decision on Sept. 11, 2004.